Saturday, August 8, 2009

Reflection

Over the past few weeks I have been reflecting on my e-learning /e-teaching practice and identifying what technology do I really use effectively, what has the biggest impact and how can I enhance my teaching through using this technology effectively.

Firstly I realised I am great at setting things up jumping on board the boat with very little idea where it is heading. While seeing many great tools and hardware out there I am often keen to give it a go.

So from this realisation I have decided that the most important thing for my style of teaching is computer time. My children need as much time in front of the machines as I can get them. This said being one class of 32 out of 1000 intermediate kids makes this very challenging.

So a few goals for me.... use my Mimio at all times when in the class - and get the kids using it in my rotations everyday not just now and then.
Intro kids to my class blog and get them to do this during class time as well as breaks.... and most importantly up date my wiki so parents and children are inform of what is and has been happening... photos for this is a must...

WOW so much to do!!! while e-learning is great for motivation, connecting learners and enhancing learning in the 21st century is definitely adds to ones workload hmmmm another thought to ponder!!!

Off to do more readings and find out how the rest of the world thinks and copes with e-learning 101.

2 comments:

  1. Totally with you on the "jumping on board the boat with very little idea where it is heading" Debbie :-). For me this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have a few dead-end projects which seemed like a good idea at the time (I tried to set up a closed social network on ning.com for my class and it went down like a lead balloon.) But they have taken to blogging and take part in a weekly homework blog (r15homework.blogspot.com). A spin-off from this was that some of my more able students created their own blogs as part of a leadership project we did last term.
    I also have a mimio and am totally under-using it but don't seem to find the time to get my head around all the different resources available so good on you for committing to using it more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie

    My use of eLearning in the classroom only really started being meaningful when I made the paradigm shift from 'learning to use computers' to 'using computers to learn'. Now, when I do my weekly planning, I look at my learning intentions, and then think about which tool will be the best vehicle to reach the end result I have in mind. More often than not computers are involved, but not always. The more I focus on the end result (eg. WALT write a recount of an event) then I can start thinking of creative ICT tools to reach that goal. For example we may use ComicLife to write our recounts, or make digital stories, or even Voicethread. So to sum up, instead of thinking of ways to use Voicethread, I think of ways to do recounts, and Voicethread may be one of those ways. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete